Where We Work
Since our founding in 1982, Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake has worked in 18 communities across Baltimore City and Anne Arundel, Baltimore and Howard counties. We choose where to work very carefully, always striving to balance the affordability of acquiring and building in a given location with its desirability to homeowners and long-term potential for growth and appreciation. Central Maryland has some of the highest-priced pockets of real estate in the country and there are many communities where the costs to acquire and build are simply too high to be affordable for our homeowners. Fortunately, however, there are many other neighborhoods that have excellent qualities and just need investment and engaged residents to take off!
Among the criteria we consider when choosing where to build are:
- Presence of Strong Community Partners
- Anchor Institutions & Businesses
- Community Development Momentum
- Attractiveness to Homebuyers with Quality of Life Assets & Amenities
- Possibility of Affordable Acquisition
- Availability of Contiguous Properties and/or Vacant Property for New Construction
- Funding Available
- Improving Sales and Rental Markets
- Consistent with Habitat Legacy & Commitments
For a geographic overview of where we have worked, please view the Baltimore City and Anne Arundel County maps below. Be sure to visit our Current Projects page for more detailed information on where we are actively working.